Last modified: Sep 12, 2017
NYC English, LLC (“Company” or “We”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.nyceonline.nyc (our “Website“), or when you purchase, register, install, access or use the NYC English Mobile Application (the “App“), and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- Via the App.
- On this Website.
- In e-mail, text and other electronic messages sent through or in connection with the Website and/or the App.
- Through any other mobile and desktop applications you download from this Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party; or
- any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website or App.
Children Under the Age of 13
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules (collectively, “COPPA”) require us to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this section, “parents“) about our practices for collecting, using and disclosing personal information from children under the age of 13 (“children“). It also requires us to obtain verifiable consent from a child’s parent for certain collection, use and disclosure of the child’s personal information.
This section notifies parents of:
- The types of information we may collect from children.
- How we use the information we collect.
- Our practices for disclosing that information.
- Our practices for notifying and obtaining parents’ consent when we collect personal information from children, including how a parent may revoke consent.
- All operators that collect or maintain information from children through this Website or App.
Information We Collect from Children. Children can access many parts of the Website and App and its content and use many of its features without providing us with personal information. However, some content and features are available only to registered users or require us to collect certain information, including personal information, from them. In addition, we use certain technologies, such as cookies, to automatically collect information from our users (including children) when they visit or use the Website or App.
We only collect as much information about a child as is reasonably necessary for the child to participate in an activity, and we do not condition his or her participation on the disclosure of more personal information than is reasonably necessary.
Information We Collect Directly from Children. A child must provide us with the following information to register with this Website and/or App.: the child’s first name, last name and email. We also require the child to create a member name and password. We may request additional information from your child, but this information is optional. We specify whether information is required or optional where we request it.
How We Use Your Child’s Information. We use the personal information we collect from your child to:
- register him or her with the Website and App.;
- communicate with him or her about activities or features of the Website and App. that may be of interest;
- track his or her performance in the tests, quizzes, games or other activities provided by the Website and App.;
- provide the performance results of your child in the tests, quizzes, games or other activities provided by the Website and App. to the child’s associated teacher or instructor who is registered with the Website or App. as the child’s teacher or instructor.
We use the information we collect automatically through technology (see Automatic Information Collection) and other non-personal information we collect to improve our Website and App. to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about the child’s preferences, allowing us to customize the content according to individual interests.
Our Practices for Disclosing Children’s Information. We do not share, sell, rent or transfer children’s personal information other than as described in this section.
We may disclose aggregated information about many of our users, and information that does not identify any individual. In addition, we may disclose children’s personal information:
- To teachers or instructors that are registered as the teachers or instructors for your child. Such information provided to them will be limited to the child’s name, student ID number and the performance results of your child in the tests, quizzes, games or other activities provided by the Website and App.
- To third parties we use to support the internal operations of our Website and App. and who are bound by contractual or other obligations to use the information only for such purpose and to keep the information confidential.
- If we are required to do so by law or legal process, such as to comply with any court order or subpoena or to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of NYC English, LLC, our customers or others, including to:
- protect the safety of a child;
- protect the safety and security of the Website or App. ; or
- enable us to take precautions against liability.
- To law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety.
In addition, if NYC English, LLC is involved in a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of NYC English, LLC’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding or event, we may transfer the personal information we have collected or maintain to the buyer or other successor.
Social Features for Children. The Website and App may offer social features including instant messaging, chat, e-mail, posting on message boards, that enable children to communicate with others through the Website and App. The nature of these features allows children to disclose personal information about themselves. We do not monitor or review this content before it is posted, and we do not control the types of information your child can send or post through them or the actions of third parties with whom your child shares his or her information We encourage parents to educate their children about safety online and to carefully monitor their children’s use of social features to ensure they do not disclose their personal information through them.
Operators That Collect or Maintain Information from Children. The following are all operators that may collect or maintain personal information from children through the Website and App.:
NYC English LLC
1881 West Traverse Parkway,
Suite E, Box 500,
+1 646 705 8051
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our App and Website
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically when you use the Website and App.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us.
When you use the Website and/or download, register with or use this App, we may ask you to provide information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, student ID number, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information“).
This information includes:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms in the App or Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the App or Website, and posting material and requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with the App or Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses and phone numbers), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Your search queries on the App or Website.
You may provide information to be published or displayed (“Posted“) on public areas of the Website, or other websites you access through the App (collectively, “User Contributions“). Your User Contributions are Posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of third parties with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Automatic Information Collection
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, or when you download, access and use the App, we may use automatic data collection technologies automatically collect:
- Usage Details. When you access and use the App or Website, we may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the Website or App, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the App or Website.
- Computer Information. Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type
- Device Information. We may collect information about your mobile device and internet connection, including the device’s unique device identifier, IP address, operating system, browser type, mobile network information and the device’s telephone number.
- Stored Information and Files. The App also may access metadata and other information associated with other files stored on your device. This may include, for example, photographs, audio and video clips, personal contacts and address book information.
- Data Collection from Website or App. Results of quiz scores test scores taken on the Website or App., time on the Website or App., voice recordings made on Website or App., writings made on the Website or App.
If you do not want us to collect this information do not use the Website and do not download the App or delete it from your device
Information Collection. The technologies we use for automatic information collection may include:
- Mobile cookies. A mobile cookie is a small file placed on your smartphone. It may be possible to refuse to accept mobile cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your smartphone. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our App.
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Website, App and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related app statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain app content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Automatic Uploads to Company. The Website and App. will automatically upload certain types of data based on your usage of the Website and App directly to the Company, such as results of quiz scores test scores taken on the Website or App., your time on the Website or App., voice recordings made on Website or App., writings made on the Website or App.
Third-party Information Collection
When you use the Website, App or their content, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties may include:
- Your mobile device manufacturer.
- Your mobile service provider.
These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use this app. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including personal information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps and other online services websites. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based (behavioral) advertising or other targeted content.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, to:
- Provide you with the App and its contents.
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Give you notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- Notify you when App updates are available, and of changes to any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
- Utilizing the test and quiz results to validate and modify the curriculum provided on the Website and App.
- Utilizing the test and quiz results to compare to similar country or state exams of the material.
- Allowing teacher or instructors that are registered as the teachers or instructors for you to access information on your performance of tests, quizzes provided on the Website or App. Such information provided to them will be limited to the child’s name, student ID number and the performance results of your child in the tests, quizzes, games or other activities provided by the Website and App.
The usage information we collect helps us to improve our Website and App and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website and App according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you use the Website and App.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual or device, without restriction.
In addition, we may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide:
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of NYC English, LLC’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by NYC English, LLC about our Website and App users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an e-mail address to use the “e-mail a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that e-mail and your e-mail address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including the NYC English App End User License Agreement (EULA), and for billing and collection.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of NYC English, LLC, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Your Choices about Our Collection, Use and Disclosure of YourInformation
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website or App and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of our Website and App that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or write us at:
NYC English LLC
1881 West Traverse Parkway,
Suite E, Box 500,
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website and App, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet and mobile platforms is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted through our Website and App. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide.
Cross-Border Transfer of Data
NYC English LLC
1881 West Traverse Parkway,
Suite E, Box 500,